Makati City has long been the country’s leading business and financial hub, serving as home to 40 percent of the country’s top 1000 multinational and local corporations. The city boasts of a highly-developed transport and communications infrastructure, quality shopping centers, state-of-the-art hospitals, and premiere residential areas. All these advantages have made Makati the location of choice for new businesses.
We have previously covered the steps on registering your Philippine-based corporation with national- and municipal-level agencies. In this article, we will highlight the specific, up-to-date requirements and steps for business registration in Makati City.
Makati City Business Registration / Mayors’ Permit
1) Locational Clearance for Business
– to determine if the business activity you are applying for is allowed in the area
– will be issued by the Zoning Administration Division after five (5) working days if an inspection is needed
2) Proof of Business Address
a. Contract of Lease (if the place of business is rented)
b. Transfer Certificate of Title / Tax Declaration / Real Property Tax Receipt (if the place of business is owned)
3) Proof of Business Name and Activity / Line of Business
a. Business Name Certificate from the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) (if sole proprietorship)
b. Articles of Incorporation or Partnership from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) (if corporation
4) Barangay Clearance for Business
5) Comprehensive General Liability Insurance (CGLI)
– protects an enterprise from liability claims arising in the course of business
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS BASED ON NATURE OF BUSINESS BEING APPLIED:
1) Residence Certificate A and B for Single Proprietorship, C and C1 for Corporation
2) Contractor’s License issued by the Philippine Contractors Accreditation Board (PCAB) for General/Specialty
3) National Food Authority (NFA) License for Dealers of Rice/Corn and Wheat
4) Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Certification for Bakeries and Drugstores
5) Authority from Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) for Banking Institutions
6) Accreditation Certificate issued by DTI for Auto Repair Shop, Electronics, Radio, and other Electrical Equipment Businesses
7) Customs Broker’s Accreditation granted by the Bureau of Customs (BOC) for Customs Brokerage Businesses
8) Real Estate Broker’s License issued by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) for Real Estate Brokers
9) License issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for Local Manpower/Recruitment Agencies
10) License issued by the Philippine Overseas and Employment Agency (POEA) for Manning and Crewing Services
11) Pest Control License issued by Fertilizers and Pesticide Authority for Pest Control Services
12) License issued by the Optimal Media Board (OMB) for Video Rental Services
13) Occupancy Permit for Real Estate Lessors
14) License to Operate from the Philippine National Police (PNP) for Private Security Agencies
15) Clearance issued by the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources (DENR) for Mining Companies
16) Franchise granted by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) for Rent-A-Car and Transportation Services
17) License to Own and Possess Firearms issued by PNP
18) Accreditation issued by the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) for Messengerial or Courier Services
19) License issued by the Department of Energy (DOE) for Dealers of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
20) License issued by the National Telecommunication Commission (NTC) for Telecommunications Companies
21) Certificate of Accreditation issued by Philippine Shippers’ Bureau for Seafreight Forwarders
23) Accreditation Certificate issued by the Department of Education (DepEd) for Educational Institutions
24) Certificate of Authority to Operate issued by SEC for Financial Lending Institutions
3. EASY STEPS FOR GETTING YOUR MAYOR’S / BUSINESS PERMIT
Location: Business Permits Office (BPO), Ground Floor, New Makati City Hall Building II
Estimated Time Frame: 30 minutes
a. Secure application form from receiving or processing clerks. Be informed of the requirements and processes.
Note: If your business is considered “Subject for Inspection,” you will have to proceed to the Inspection Division.
b. Have the BPO check your requirements and accept your application. Officials will evaluate and assess taxes, fees, and charges. The BPO Chief will then sign the billing statement and application form to indicate approval.
Location: Business Tax Division / Treasury Department, Ground Floor, New Makati City Hall Building II
Estimated Time Frame: 5 minutes
a. With your approved application form and billing statement at hand, pay the corresponding fees and tax at designated windows.
Estimated Time Frame: 15 minutes
a. Claim your Business Permit, Sanitary Permit, and Fire Safety Inspection Notice.
Note: Inspections will be conducted after release of Business Permit by the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), Health Department, and Engineering Office.
TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
Want to save even more time? Let the experts at DAYANAN Business Consultancy do the work for you! We’ll be happy to guide you through the ins and outs of the Philippine business registration process!
Source: Makati City BPO
Makati City skyline image taken from www.makati.gov.ph